Manipur is one of the states of India and Imphal is its capital. Total area of Manipur is 22,327 sq. km which is 24th in ranking. The state was established on 21 January, 1972. It has 16 districts. The name of present chief minister is N. Biren Singh (BJP).
Official language of Manipur is Meitei (Manipuri). Manipuri has its own script known as Meitei Mayek. Manipuri people also speak in English. They have spoken five other languages also named Tangkul, Kuki, Lusai, Hmar, Paite, and Thadou.
According to the 2011 census, the population of Manipur is 2,855,794 which is also ranked as 24th. Hinduism is the major religion in Manipur. Some notable Indian person’s name from Manipur are given below:
Raju Bista (politician and managing director of a company)
Arambam Boby (an Indian bodybuilder)
Imran Khan (footballer)
Mohammad Nawaz (footballer)
Jitendra Singh (footballer)
Traditions of Manipur
Manipuri peoples have celebrated various types of festivals and Dol Jatra is one of them. “Lai-Haraoba” festival is celebrated in May. “Kut” festival is celebrated for an abundant harvest. “Gang-Ngai” is an omen taking ceremony. “Yaoshang” is a type of Holi festival.
For Manipuri women, Innaphi and Phanek are common traditional dresses. Pagri, which is made of white turban, is a common cloth among men. Besides these, Mayek Naibi, Lai-phi, Chin-phi are also most using traditional dresses of Manipuri peoples.
Music is very popular in Manipur, especially folk music. Some song forms are “Khullong Ishei”, “Pena Ishei”, “Lai Haraoba Ishei”, etc.
“Manipuri Dance” is a worldwide famous dance form. According to religious history, Lord Shiva and Parvati danced in the valleys of Manipur. Beside it, other dance forms are Nupa, Pung Cholam, Khamba Thoibi, Dhol Cholam, and Manipuri Raas Leela.
History of States
- The earlier history of Manipur dates to about 900 CE.
- Most recent history of Manipur begins from 1762, when the king Jay Singh took an agreement with British to protest from Burmans.
- Chura Chand, a 5 years old member of the ruling family was nominated raja in 1891.
- Next 8 years the administration was taken under British supervision.
- During 1907, the government was assumed by the raja or council.
- After the Kuki hill tribes in 1917, the region was divided into three subdivisions as a new system of government.
- Finally Manipur became a constituent state of the Indian Union on July21, 1972.
Some famous food item names of Manipur are given below:
- Chamthong or Kongshoi (vegetable stew)
- Eromba (made using boiled vegetable and fish)
- Morok Metpa (chutney, using dried chillies)
- Singju (salad)
- Paaknam (a type of savoury cake flavoured with chilli and traditional Ngari)
- Chak Hao Kheer (dessert, made using rice, milk and cardamom)
- Alu Kangmet (boiled potato mash)
- Nga Thonga (fish curry)
Famous manipur ]
How to reach
By Train: The capital Imphal hasn’t its own railway station. Nearest junction of the capital is Dimapur railway station. New Delhi Dibrugarh Rajdhani Express and Guwahati Rajdhani Express are two popular trains run from Dimapur.
By Air: The airport is almost 8 km away from the main city Imphal and is well connected with Delhi, Kolkata, Guwahati etc. domestic areas. Indigo, Jet Lite, and Jet Airways are popular daily carriers.