Madhya Pradesh is one of the 29 states of India. Bhopal is its capital. According to modern history, Mughal Emperor Akbar had a strong hold over this state. According to its area, it is the second largest state of India. The state was formed on 26 January, 1950. It has 52 districts. Kamal Nath is the present chief minister and Lalji Tandon is governor. Total area of the state is 119,017 sq mi.
The name Madhya Pradesh indicates that the place is in the center of India. The state is surrounded by Uttar Pradesh to the northeast, Chhattisgarh to the southeast, Maharashtra to the south, Gujarat to the west and Rajasthan to the northwest.
Main language of Madhya Pradesh is Hindi. Beside it, many other languages are spoken by peoples of these states. For example, Malvi in Malwa, Nimadi in Nimar, Bundeli in Bundelkhand, Bagheli etc.
According to census 2011, population of Madhya Pradesh is 72,626,809. Some notable people’s name of Madhya Pradesh from different sectors are given below:
- Chandra Shekhar Azad (freedom fighters)
- Sita Sahu (sport medal winner)
- Keshavrao Krishnarao Datey (cardiologist)
- Arjun Rampal (actor)
- Ashok Kumar (actor)
- Lata Mangeshkar (singer)
- Javed Khan (producer)
- Jaya Bachchan (actress)
- Salman Khan (actor)
- Sara Khan (actress)
- Mansoor Ali Khan Pataudi (cricketer)
Tradition and culture of any particular state depends on their different tribal peoples. As Madhya Pradesh is a large state which is belonging religious verities like, Hinduism, Islam, Christianity, Buddhism, Jainism, and Sikhism, it’s became a multi-cultural state.
‘Relo’ Folk song belonging to the ‘Sing Maria’ and ‘Muria’ tribes which is usually sung by the tribal children is a famous traditional song type. Another name of famous song types are ‘Dhankul’ and ‘Chait Parah’. Flute and Harmonium are most using instruments.
‘Lota’ and ‘Phag’ tribal peoples are famous for dance form. ‘Gaur’ is a famous wedding dance type.
‘Ghotul ‘ is an interesting custom which is followed by Muria tribe peoples where unmarried boys and girls meet at evening and learn about their moral values, duties, discipline.
‘Dhoti’ is a traditional dress of men of Madhya Pradesh. Beside it, ‘Safa’ or head cloth is used at eastern part and ‘Paga’ or the turban is used at western part of the state. ‘Lehenga’ and ‘Choli’ along with an additional strip of cloth called ‘orni’ or’ Lugra’ the most common attire of women’s. Saree is also common for them.
History of Madhya Pradesh
- After independence of India in 1947, new states of Madhya Bharat and Vindhya Pradesh were imposed from the old central agency. Berar, Makrai, and Chhattisgarh, were culled from Madhya Pradesh, and had got a separate entity with their capital Nagpur.
- In 1950, the central provinces and Berar was renamed Madhya Pradesh.
- Madhya Pradesh was divided by linguistic lines according to States Recognizing Act 1956.
- Bombay which is now Maharashtra emerged with Marathi speaking districts of Madhya Pradesh.
- Moreover Madhya Bharat, Vindhya Prade4sh, and Bhopal were merged with Madhya Pradesh In 1956.
- Till 2000 Madhya Pradesh was the largest state of India.
Traditional foods name of Madhya Pradesh
- Poha (made of flattened rice)
- Bhutte Ka Kees (made of corn)
- Daal Bafla (made off wheat dough)
- Seekh kabab (Mughal food, made of meat using skewer)
- Palak Puri (made of wheat dough and a paste of spinach leaves)
- Bhopali Gosht Korma (slow cooked mutton)
- Biryani Pilaf (zarda)
- Chakki ki Shaak (gravy of steamed dough)
- Malpua (pitha)
- Mawa Bati (type of sweat,gulab jamun)
- Jalebi (type of sweat)
How to reach Madhya Pradesh
By Air: Madhya Pradesh has 5 main airport named –
- Devi Ahilyabai Holkar Airport (8 km west of Indore). It is the largest airport of this state. It served direct flights from Bengaluru, Delhi, Mumbai, Ahmedabad, and Goa.
- Raja Bhoj International Airport (placed in Bhopal)
- Dumna Airport (placed Jabalpur)
- Gwalior Airport
- Khajuraho Airport.
By Train: The state has a total of 20 major railway junctions. Most of the major trains including Rajdhni, Shatabdi, and Garib Rath express pass through MP due to its central location.