When anyone is talking about Sabarmati Ashram, the first name that comes to their mind is “Mahatma Gandhi”. Mahatma Gandhi- a legendary name in the history of India. This Ashram is associated with Gandhi Ji. This is also called Gandhi Ashram. It is situated on the bank of the Sabarmati River. This is the right place where you can explore Gandhi Ji very easily and closely. If you are a person who loves historical places and want to know more about Gandhi Ji, you must go there.
History of the Ashram:
Sabarmati Ashram is not the first ashram established by Gandhi after returning from South Africa to India. In 1915, in the Kochrab area Gujarat. He built his first ashram which was gifted by his friend. But Kochrab ashram wasn’t enough space for the activities he wanted to do.
So, in 1917 he relocated the ashram on the bank of the Sabarmati River to open land which is about 36 acres. From there the name Sabarmati Ashram came. The other names of this ashram are Gandhi Ashram, Satyagraha Ashram, Harijan Ashram.
According to history, Gandhi lived here from 1917-1930. He also established a school to give training in agriculture, manual labor, and literacy. Mahatma Gandhi once said,” This is the right place for our activities to carry on the search for truth and develop Fearlessness.”
What is inside Sabarmati Ashram?
- In Sabarmati Ashram, Gandhi Ji lived in a small cottage. The name of the cottage is Hridaya Kunj. This cottage has great historical significance. Here a visitor can find many things used by Mahatma Gandhi. Like- a writing desk, a khadi kurta, a yarn spun, some of his letters.
- There is a museum named Gandhi Sangrahalaya. It is a very important part of the ashram. This museum was inaugurated by Jawaharlal Nehru on 10 May 1963. It has five units, two photo galleries, an auditorium, and a library. Here you can find many things used by Gandhi Ji, his paintings, letters, and many more.
- Upasana Mandir is an open-air prayer ground. Which is situated in between Hridaya Kunj and Magan Kutir. Magan kutir is the place where the manager of the ashram Maganlal used to stay.
- Nandini is situated on the right-hand side of Hridaya Kunj. It is an old guest house. This is the place where the guests from India and abroad are put up.
- Vinoba Kutir is named after Acharya Vinoba Bhave who stayed here and is also known as Mir Kutir after Mirabahan, who was Gandhi’s disciple.
Why will a visitor visit Sabarmati Ashram?
Sabarmati Ashram is a historical place that is closely connected to Mahatma Gandhi. You can feel their presence when you visit the ashram. There is a museum named Gandhi Smarak Sangrahalaya which is full of memories and works of Gandhi Ji. Nowadays, it has become a top and major tourist attraction. This is a very peaceful place.
Opening and closing time of Sabarmati Ashram
Sabarmati Ashram is open every day of the week. It opens on public holidays also. The opening time of the Ashram is 8:30 am and the closing time is 6:30 pm.
How much is the entrance fee?
There is no entrance fee. A visitor does not need to pay any money to visit the Ashram.
Prohibited things of the Ashram?
Smoking, Alcohol, drugs are not allowed in the Ashram. No one can do these things in the Ashram area.
Is Photography allowed in Sabarmati Ashram?
The camera is allowed in the ashram. A traveler can take pictures inside the ashram. There is no fee for that. This historical place is very interesting for photography. Morning time will be best for photography.
Is there any public toilet in the Ashram area?
Yes, there is a toilet block for the tourists. The ashram authority is building a new toilet block for the tourists.
Is there any parking area in Sabarmati Ashram?
There is a parking area on the ashram property. Parking is also free there.
Is this a safe place for tourists?
It is a safe place for tourists. Many people come to visit this place every year from different places of the world. But if you face any kind of trouble you can contact the police. Here is the nearest police station location for you-
Which is the best time to visit Sabarmati Ashram?
You can go there any time. But October to March is the best time to visit this place. During these months the weather remains pleasant. So, you can enjoy your trip.
- Crowne Plaza Ahmedabad City Centre
- Lemon Tree Premier; The Atrium
- Fortune Land Mark, Ahmedabad
- Treebo Trend Ambassador
- Riverview Hotel
How to reach:
By Air: Sardar Vallabh Bhai Patel International Airport (AMD) is the nearest airport to the ashram. Which is 8km away from the ashram. From the airport, you can hire a taxi or a cab there.
By Train: Sabarmati Bridge town Railway station is 1.7 km away from the ashram. It is the nearest railway station to the ashram. A visitor can take any local transport to go to the ashram. It will take 8 minutes to reach there.