Located in the city of Ahmedabad under the state of Gujarat, India, Kankaria lake is a major tourist attraction. Many people come to visit this wonderful place. It is the second-largest lake in Ahmedabad. This is a great place for kids. If you are visiting Ahmedabad, you must go there.
History of Kankaria Lake
The construction of the lake was started in the 15th century by Sultan Muizza-ud-Din Muhammad Shah II. The actual reason for the name Kankaria is unknown. But there are several stories about it. One is, it was named this because of large quantities of limestone dug out of it during excavation.
Another theory says that Sultan Qutb-ud-Din posed a question to Shah Alam, to select a location for the tank and the garden. Then he scattered some pebbles at the site which was excavated and the lake was built. So it is named Kankaria. One more story says that once Saint Hazrat-Shah-Alam cut his foot on a pebble while passing through excavations and exclaimed “What a pebble!” and it is named Kankaria which means pebble.
The architecture of Kankaria Lake
Kankaria lake, the second largest lake of Ahmedabad is spread across a surface area of about 76 acres and has a shore which is about 2km. It has an island in the center of the lake that contains a garden named Nagina wadi. It is connected to a bridge that is about 48 acres long. Nagina means jewel here. The construction of the lake was done by some finest Mughal architects of that time.
Things to do in Kankaria Lake
There are a lot of things to do there. It is a great place for the kids.
- Kankaria zoo: Kankaria zoo which is also known as Kamla Nehru Zoological Garden is situated on the outside premises of the lake. It was established in 1951. It is one of the most attractive destinations in Kankaria lake. This is one of the best-rated zoos in all of Asia.
- Balvatika: Another famous place especially for the kids, Balvatika is a children’s park. Planetariums and toy houses of the park will satisfy the kids.
- Amusement park: There is an amusement park for adventure lovers. It has many rides including roller coasters.
- Nagina Wadi: Nagina wadi is the garden located on the island in the middle of the lake. There is a looping walkway through which you can go to the garden.
- Toy trains: There are two toy trains at the lake. The first one is called Atal Express which is named after prime minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee. The second one is called Swarnim Jayanti Express.
- Balloon Rides: Another attractive thing to do in the lake is a helium balloon ride. The helium balloon safari of the lake is called the Ahmedabad eye.
- Kids city: This is dedicated to the kids. Spread over 4240 square meters of area, Kids City is a miniature city designed for children. It has a lot of entertainment and educational features. Like- science lab, heritage gallery, newsroom, ice cream factory, police station, etc.
There are some other attractions at the lake-
- Stone Mural Park
- Butterfly Park
- Mini Golf
- Desert Safari
- Mirror Maze
- Target Archery
- Open-air theater
Opening and closing time of Kankaria Lake
The lake is open every day of the week except Monday. It opens at 4 am and closes at 11 pm. But no entry between 8 is to 9 am. Entry is free for all from 4 am to 8 am for jogging.
How much is the entry fee for Kankaria Lake?
A visitor needs to pay some entry fee to visit the lake. Entry is free for senior citizens and children below 5 years.
- Per person Rs 10 (Adults)
- Per person Rs 5 ( children)
- Per person Rs 1 ( educational trip)
- Per person Rs 100 (monthly pass)
Best time to visit This Lake?
The beautiful Kankaria Lake can be visited any time of the year. But October to March is a perfect time to visit the lake. During these months the environment of the city remains extremely pleasant.
Is photography allowed inside This Lake?
Cameras are allowed in Kankaria lake. Visitors are permitted to take a picture inside the lake area. It is a great place for photography.
Is there any parking area?
Yes, there is a big parking zone. So, a traveler need not worry about it.
Is a toilet available there for the tourists?
There is a toilet available for the visitors. Inside the premises, you will find food stalls also.
Is it safe for tourists?
It is a safe place for tourists. Every year people from all over the world come to visit this place. In case you are having any kind of problem you may contact the police. Here is the nearest police station location for you-
You can find many hotels around the lake area. You can choose any one of them. Some of them are here for you.
- Sarovar Portico
- The House of Mg
- Lemon Tree Premier; The Atrium
- Four Points by Sheraton Ahmedabad
- Fortune Park, Ahmedabad
- Crown Plaza Ahmedabad City Centre
How to reach:
By Air: Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel International airport, Ahmedabad is situated at a distance of 11.5 km from Kankaria Lake. It is the nearest airport to the lake. Which is well connected to the other major cities of the country and also has international flights. Local transports are available at the airport. By hiring them you can go to the lake easily. It takes about 23 minutes to go to Kankaria Lake from the airport.
By Train: The Ahmedabad Junction Railway station is 5 km away from this attractive lake. It is well connected with the other cities of the state of Gujarat and also the major cities of the country.
By Road: The road connection of the city of Ahmedabad is mentionable. This city has a good road connection with the other cities of the country. So, a traveler can go there via bus or by their own vehicle.